Last Updated on December 7, 2020
This article contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I might earn a commission, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support in this way! Learn more in my Disclosure Policy.
With so many of us staying at home this year and not able to travel, I’ve assembled my best virtual travel tips to help with wanderlust for both kids and adults!
- Teachers and parents can get tips for helping kids explore the world from home with my virtual field trips guide to virtual travel for kids.
- Find ways to travel from home with my tips for grown-ups on ways to travel from home. From virtual travel tours to reflecting on past trips, free online courses, travel books, and finding some zen, I’ve got tons of great tips for in-between trips.
- My virtual aquarium field trip is perfect for kids, ocean lovers, and anyone in need of a moment of zen! It includes a resource list for parents and educators as well.
- Take a virtual field trip with all the history, sights, and museums in my home of Washington DC.
- Be sure to check out my feature on virtual zoos and safaris, which includes how to see a live guided African safari online FREE each day!
- Learn about the history and traditions of the Dia de los Muertos festival with my Virtual Day of the Dead field trip. It includes videos on how the holiday is celebrated in different cities in Mexico and the United States!
- Learn about Maya, Zapotec and Aztec ruins in Mexico with history, visit tips, and virtual tours.
Interactive Virtual Field Trips
Interested in paid interactive virtual field trips? Many companies that typically offer in-person tours are now offering online options! I’ve noticed many tour guides are also running virtual versions of their regular tours, and creative people around the globe are teaching classes in their areas of expertise. There are great options for kids, adults and groups!
In particular, online Airbnb Experiences offer tons of options that can be booked for private groups for classes, birthdays, family gatherings and more.
- Airbnb Experiences online
- Viator virtual tours
- Get Your Guide virtual tours
- New York Adventure Club
- Atlas Obscura online experiences
Want to gift yourself or a favorite traveler a way to travel from home?
Check out my roundup of the best travel boxes – many available as single boxes as well as subscriptions – including snack boxes, travel gear, cocktail clubs and more!
Need gift ideas for travel lovers? Travel subscription boxes are a great way to give the gift of a virtual vacation in a box! And since so many of us are stuck at home right now, travel subscription boxes are an especially thoughtful gift.
Online Traveler Communities
While we can’t travel now, we can still plan and dream! These are some of the best communities I’ve found online to connect with fellow travelers.
- Wanderful is a social network that connects women travelers and offers free events, monthly webinars and digital meetups, community deals, and other VIP benefits. Check out their membership options here including monthly and yearly plans (and gift options!), or join their free online Facebook group here to see what the community is all about.
- The blogger Nomadic Matt hosts a free online travel community, The Nomadic Network. Join a local chapter, connect with other travelers in the online forum, or attend weekly virtual events on a “pay what you can” basis. Here’s the current event schedule.
Be sure to check out all of my virtual travel guides:
Looking for ways to keep travel-loving kids busy in-between trips? Travel the world virtually, no passport needed! Get resources for online museums, virtual field trips, wildlife live feeds, kid-friendly travel documentaries, game ideas, and links for travel-related learning and play at home.
Although we can’t travel right now, there are more ways than ever to explore the world from home. Luckily, virtual travel to Washington DC is no exception: I’ve discovered more than 150 ways for you to experience the U.S. capital from home.
Take a virtual aquarium field trip with the best ocean and sealife webcams from around the world! Perfect for homeschooling, ocean-lovers, and a moment of zen.
Need a vacation, but just can’t travel right now? Check out these activities for things to do when you can’t travel! From virtual travel tours to reflecting on past trips, free online courses, travel books, and finding some zen, I’ve got tons of great tips for in-between trips.
Need a wildlife fix? Take a virtual field trip with the best zoo webcams, live safaris & wildlife cams for students & nature lovers! Includes resource links for parents & educators.
Learn about Dia de los Muertos traditions with videos and resources for a virtual Day of the Dead field trip for kids & adults! See how the holiday is celebrated in different cities in Mexico and the U.S.
Nestled in the jungles of Mesoamerica, the rediscovered ruins of Maya, Aztec and Zapotec cities stand as monuments to the power and knowledge of these ancient civilizations. How many of these Mexico ruins have you visited, and which are on your bucket list?